Floating Issues Again

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Po has floating issues again

I thought I’d start a thread here so that the Distress section isn’t so lonely and so members can see that it can be done. I clicked on GFE Forum, or the 911 Emergency button or visit our forum, then Goldfish in Distress, then the Goldfish in Distress again to get here.

floating issues again

Po started floating upside down again day before yesterday. I had forgotten to feed gel food with oil in it and had fed one meal of moist flakes for two days (garlic peas for their other meals). I oiled him with castor and then made up a new batch of gel food. He’s doing much better and I can see that this will be an ongoing issue for him. He’ll need gel food daily from now on.

floating issues again

Venus
      Keymaster

What a coincidence. Would you believe I caught Spike upside down yesterday? I had mixed up some gel food, but I added to much oil. I’m still having problems finding just the right amount of oil. I’m thinking none. He hadn’t had the gel food in about four days, and Kris came home with Tetra instead of Wardley flakes. The Wardly breaks down as soon as it hits water, but the Tetra almost has to be soaked to get it to break down. I was in a pinch so I fed it. Between the Tetra and the WArdly, he’s bobbing, but one shot of the oil did the trick

We have to realize, this isn’t a case of feeding pellets or too many flakes. Our fish have deformed intestinal tracks because of their squished body styles. Yes, they’re adorable and we love em, but geeze. My fish and yours as well have an exceptional diet and they’re fed properly

Yes, from now on it’s food gel once a day. He doesn’t seem to mind the oil treatment. He’s used to it, but I do. I mind seeing him bobbing and floating upside down. So glad for the oil treatment, or he’d be a goner

Sorry for the delay. It was a cat day at the clinic, but tomorrow I’m here all day with not a lot to do. I’ll definitely fix that button. I appreciate knowing these things. I come across them, but I think it’s me. lol

Katrina911

if I didn’t know better sounds to me like these fish are learning behaviour which gets them pampered and loved more than non upside down fish. ;|

Anonymous
      Inactive

LOL Kat. Maybe so!

I’m finding that if I feed gel food at least twice a day he does a lot better. Venus, I put just a thin line of oil across the gel food mix before I stir it up. He’s not 100% by any means; still standing on his nose in the corner propped between the plants and the wall when he’s not swimming, but we’re getting there. And yes, these overly deep and short bodied fish are anything but normal. Can you believe I want another one? What is wrong with me? lol

Venus
      Keymaster

LOL You have fancy goldfish fever. Take two aspirins, and then start shopping for another fish

I gave Spike oil once a day for three days, and was also feeding gel food once a day; no flakes or pellets; not even soaked. He’s normal now, and we’re back to eating gel food (him, not me) once a day. Just recently started adding flakes. I was feeding tetra flakes, and there’s where things went wrong. The flakes don’t break down very well, where Wardley does. It would be better not to feed them at all, but they do need their vitamins

From now on, I’ll never forget the daily gel food. I’ve learned my lesson

Have you had an issues with the gel food being sloppy instead of firm when adding the oil?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Po isn’t looking good. I got home Saturday, after 22 days of caring for my mom. All the fish and the tank looked great. I was so happy with my fish keeper. He did a great job. I had them feed only garlic peas while i was gone. On Sunday i have them fresh gel food. Within 2 hours Po was floating, listing and floating upside down some. I went back to peas. I’ve oiled him, but he seems weak and is propping himself in the plants and listing on his side. No raised scales, no marks. He’s just laying on his side in the water. He can control his swimming if he really exerts himself and does it at feeding time. I’ll try to post pics. Salt bath? What to do besides the oil?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Nitrate 20
      Nitrite 0
      Amm 0
      pH 8.2
      KH 120
      GH out of test liquid, but was 380 Sunday. Have ordered it.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’ve been oiling him for 3 days and he’s swimming better… not listing on his side anymore. He has a deep patch of missing scales on his rump, however. I’m treating with aloe and feeding garlic peas. I saw Io, one of my fannies, picking at him in that area. I wonder…

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.